Skip to main content

"Succession planning" for the LinuxUpskillChallenge"

The current "Linux Upskill Challenge" course was designed as a commercial course, and was run that way from its launch eight years ago.

As outlined in my recent "Health status" post here, I've now pivoted to a not-for-profit approach running on Reddit (r/linuxupskillchallenge). This has been pretty successful so far, but it depends on a level of care from me that's not sustainable long term. (I get monthly visits from a palliative care nurse, have a Do Not Revive notice on my refrigerator - you get the picture!)

So I need some little helpers, to fill the following roles:

Posting the daily lesson
If the lesson hasn't been posted by me before 12:07 am UTC, then assume I'm not able to - and someone else will need to do so. The source of the lessons is in publicly available in my  Github, so anyone can do this, and it will appear at the top on the topics when viewed in "New" order. If you're a "Moderator", you can and should also set it as "Sticky", and tick "Approved".

Moderating r/linuxupskillchallenge
So far we haven't had any abusive posts or spam, so this mainly consists of deleting old lessons (leaving just five "up" at any one time) - and fiddling with the "sticky" tag. Let me know if you're happy to do this.

Doing the monthly "marketing"
Each month, on the last Wednesday of the course, I post a simple advisary in a few subreddits: r/linux, r/linux4noobs, r/linuxmasterrace,  r/linuxadmin - and r/sysadmin. The GitHub repo has separate sample text for each of these, but there's no reason why the same could not be used for all. If I'm "off the air" and not posting daily lessons then anyone else can do these, although they'll need to subscribe to the subreddits.

Editing the lesson "source"
As typos and mistakes are found they should be fixed in the Github "source". This can only be done if I add you as a "contributor" to the linuxupskillchallenge repo. Please contact me if you think you would like to do this. Typically I simply edit directly in Github - so no scary git knowledge is required.

Managing the linuxupskillchallenge.com domain
I'm not sure of the best way to do this, but I'd like to delegate the management of this from me personally to a small group of people.  It currently costs about $50/year, and it expires in January 2021. It's only used to point an "A record" at the IP of linuxupskillchallenge.com

Managing the linuxupskillchallenge.com webpage. 
This is about as basic a static website as is possible. It started as GitHub Pages hosted, and should probably go back to that to save hosting costs. If you want to be involved and have some thoughts, then contact me.

So, interesting times!

 - Steve (@snori74)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health status

My health is not the best. Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with myeloma after finding myself suddenly very breathless when doing strenuous exercise. The myeloma had in turn caused amyloidosis - which in its turn had severely affected my heart, causing heart failure. Not cool. Two years ago, after six months of prep chemo I had an autologous bone marrow transplant. Now, two years on, and I'm doing pretty well all considered. I'm not disabled in any way really - apart from not being able to easily walk more that about 500m! However, I don't have sufficient heart capacity to cope if I were to be hit by a bad flu or COVID-19... As you can imagine, I'm keeping pretty strictly to the lockdown procedures...

How can you support LinuxUpskillChallenge.org?

How can you support LinuxUpskillChallenge.org? I'm often asked how "students" of the LinuxUpskillChallenge course can support it, or show their appreciation... Patreon? No, I don't need the money, and the project itself has only minimal costs for website etc.  My small team are happy to pay for this for now. Spreading the word The major way you can help is by "spreading the word" so that as many people as possible are aware of the course. It's not always the best option - but at the moment most people are unaware that it even is an option. It's also the case that the more we have signed up for each class, the more interesting, dynamic and informative the comments in the subreddit are. Send them to:  LinuxUpskillChallenge.org Join "the team" The course material itself is a bit of a living document, needing a  constant stream of small tweaks and updates. Developing a "Part II" will take a lot of discussion and work. Managing the s